The Hudson's Bay Company operated Fort Boise until its abandonment.
From 1835–1844, the fort was headed by the French-Canadian Francois Payette.
In 1838, Payette constructed a second Fort Boise near the confluence of the Boise River and Snake River about five miles (8 km) northwest of the present town of Parma, Idaho and south of Nyssa, Oregon.
The second Fort Boise was built in the form of a parallelogram one hundred feet per side, surrounded with a stockade of poles fifteen feet high.
In July 1834 Thomas Mc Kay's Snake Country brigade was trapping far to the east and met the party sent by Wyeth to select a site and build Fort Hall.
At the end of July, Mc Kay departed for Fort Vancouver.
A reconstructed replica of the fort in the town of Parma is open to the public by appointment with the city office.
On July 4, 1863, the Union Army founded a new Fort Boise during the Civil War.
They built a mule-driven sawmill on Cottonwood Creek, got a lime kiln underway, and opened a sandstone quarry at the small mesa known as Table Rock. In 1957, the Idaho Elks Rehabilitation Hospital was built on a portion of the old fort's land. Fort Boise Park has a community center, six lighted tennis courts, three lighted softball fields, and a regulation lighted baseball diamond (for Boise High School & American Legion league play only).
Lugenbeel's greatest problem was the lure of the Boise Basin mines - more than 50 men deserted within the first few months. A skateboard park is located in the northwest corner of the park.
It was also abandoned because of Indian hostilities.
In the fall of 1834, Thomas Mc Kay, a veteran leader of the annual Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) Snake Country brigades, built Fort Boise, selecting the same location as Reid and Mackenzie.
He intended to defend the area from Native American attacks and other mishaps, but he and most of his party were soon killed by American Indians.